Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Proposal Cake

This is a recipe I got from my secret baker friend in February's package. I translated the name of the cake literally because I thought it was pretty funny, but you can serve this for any occasion. This cake has the flavours of cocoa, coffee and nougat. I will give you the exact recipe I received. I had to make some adjustments so that I didn't have to spend too much money on things like I'd use only once. But enough rambling, let's get to it!


The cake: 
 
4                         eggs 
1 ½ dl                 sugar 
3 dl                     flour 
3 tbsp                 unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 ½ tsp               baking powder 
1 tsp                   vanilla sugar (I think vanilla extract would work nicely) 
50 g                    chocolate 
50 g                    butter


Beat the eggs and the sugar together until light and fluffy.


Mix together your dry ingredients and sift them carefully in with the eggs and sugar. Fold everything together carefully. Melt the butter and chocolate, make sure they don't heat up too much, and fold them in carefully.


The recipe says to use a heart shaped tin but I don't have one so I adapted. Bake in 175 degrees for 30 minutes or until cooked. Allow to cool completely.

At this point I realized that my tin was too big because I only managed two layers out of it, three is the target. But I adapted.

Line your tin with cling film, put the first layer on top of it.





The filling:

2 dl                    heavy cream
200 g                 vanilla quark
½ bag                Wiener Nougat crush
3 tbsp                sugar
2 tbsp                coffee liqueur
4                        gelatin leaves

orange juice
chocolate-hazelnut spread

Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water while prepping the rest of the filling. Whip your cream until it's a little over tha soft peak stage. Fold in the quark, the crush and the sugar. At hits point the recipe made me a little confused because there was no mention of white chocolate in the ingredients but it says to add in melted white chocolate. I didn't add any because I didn't know how much to add.

This is the Wiener Nougat crush, looks like nuts right?

Heat up the coffee liqueur (I used espresso) and melt in the sokaed gelatin leaves. Make sure to squeeze out the water completely. Pour in to the filling as a thin line mixing continuously.

Brush a little orange juice on the first layer of cake, then spread on some of the chocolate-hazelnut spread on top of that and spoon in half of the filling. Repeat on the second layer. Top off with the last layer of cake. Cover the cake with the cling film and allow to sit in the fridge for at least three hours or overnight if possible.



This is what my cake looked like after a night in the fridge Now you can top the whole thing off with cream. The recipe suggests to use cream coloured with strawberry icing sugar. I used just regular cream and topped the whole thing off with some more Wiener Nougat crush.


My panel of judges said that the filling could have used even more of the Wiener nougat because of the espresso. I think that if you stick to the recipe the flavours will be more balanced.

If there is anyone interested in trying any of the recipes that use something that is harder to find outside of Finland - like Turkisk peber or the original Wiener Nougat candy - I have news for you! Suomikauppa.fi (ENG) has all kinds of finnish goodies on offer. I'm not affiliated by them, I just thought I'd mention them because they deliver worldwide.

2 comments:

  1. Kiva kun kokeilit reseptiä :) -slysi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hauskaa, että jaoit reseptin meillekin!
    Taidanpa tehdä tuollaisen kakun - ja lähteä se kainalossa 'kylille' Ü!

    ReplyDelete